In 1812 Elisha Wade purchased a tract of land in the bend of Ohio River. In 1820 together with James Herrick the town of Troy was laid out. The name was later changed to "Patriot" as there was another town of Troy in Posey Township.
After many years of lawlessness and a reputation of being a "wide open town, there being 3 saloons in operation," a Town Marshall was named and a town jail was built shortly after 1848 when the town was incorporated. The jail was the home of villain's for many years. It still sits ready to serve.
Dr. Elwood Mead was born and raised in Patriot, Indiana.