The house is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
This French-Swiss cottage is one of the few remaining examples of French colonial architecture that characterized the early settlement of Switzerland County. In 1805, a French-speaking Swiss, Louis Gex Obousser, bought 319 acres along the Ohio River; a portion of that property is what we now call Musee de Venoge.
The house is posts-on-sill, timber frame, mortise-joined and wood-pegged. Brick nogging insulation supports the first-floor plaster; rare hand-split accordion lath supports the second floor. An exterior stair leads to the second-floor storage and sleeping rooms.
Letters were found written by Jacob Weaver, who in 1813 traveled to the Swiss settlement of New ‘Swisserland’, then in Indiana Territory in 1813. They tell of the journey and life with his young Swiss wife, Charlotte Golay and their small children. They moved to the Venoge site in 1828 with seven of their 10 children. The letters help us interpret the material culture of the early French-Swiss settlers with domestic arts, hearth cooking, and trades. The kitchen garden features plants common in the early 19th century. The outdoor bake oven is used and cooking on the hearth is done in the summer when the home is open and at events.
Musee de Venoge is located at 165 Hwy 129, west of Vevay via Hwy 56 and one mile up Hwy 129.
Open by appointment, or during special events.
Free admission, Donations welcome. Summer Hours Only