The Historic Hoosier Theater is the venue for plays, live performances, concerts and civic events. The “Old Theatre Building” was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1982. Built in 1837 as a warehouse and store, it has housed a saddlery, the post office, the newspaper, and a tavern. It became a venue for popular entertainment in 1926, when it was converted to a silent movie theater, with live organ accompaniment. The theater closed in 1955. In 1983 a group got together and rejuvenated the building, presenting “The Rainmaker” musical to enthusiastic audiences.